Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kimbo Slice: YouTube Comes Alive...more Elite than the Ultimate?

I have to admit I was pretty taken aback by Kimbo's promo on Proelite.com. The only time I'd heard him talk before this was when he was grunt at the camera after literally breaking some guy's face. So I was shcoked to see a well-spoken, soft-spoken dude who can also do some pretty talking with his hands. Do I think he'd be a contender in the UFC? No. At least not right now. Do I think EliteXC is the best place for him? Hell yes.

The more I see from these guys, the more I like 'em. They're carving out a certain niche for themselves that in my mind has made them a surprisingly close # 2 to the UFC, leaving the IFL waaaay waaaay behind. I like that they were able to wrangle a cable deal, which is one thing that the UFC couldn't pull off. Signing Kimbo was just as savvy as signing Brock Lesnar. I'm sure it cost way less, & will put just as many asses in the seats. Bottom line: A few of the fight cards for EliteXC: Renegade, even if you don't count Kimbo's MMA debut, could easily outshine UFC 78: Validation's main event. We'll see if I have to eat my words but between Diaz/Noons, Shields/Pyle, & Kimbo vs that poor, brave man...? It wouldn't surprise me if "Renegade" shoxc the competition.

---m

No comments: